Israel: Man dies by choking after swallowing drugs at police checkpoint

Victim in his 60s also attempted to consume a surgical mask; medics pronounce his death at the scene in northern Israel

A man in his sixties died by choking on Saturday after attempting to swallow a surgical mask containing a large amount of drugs to avoid police detection, according to a report on Saturday night.

The man, who was not immediately identified, encountered a police checkpoint between Acre and Kiryat Bialik, Channel 12 reported. He was traveling in a taxi, after being discharged from the Galilee Medical Center in the northern city of Nahariya for an unspecified ailment, according to the report.

To avoid a police inspection that would reveal his possessions of the drugs, he attempted to shove the items down his throat, resulting in his choking