From ABC News Australia – It is, as they say, A dogs life.
Animal owners are being urged to closely supervise their dogs after a number of pets were suspected to have ingested discarded marijuana on walks on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
- One veterinary clinic has treated at least four dogs for marijuana poisoning within two days
- A local vet says the occurrence is common particularly around public holidays
- Owners should seek urgent medical attention for their dogs if they suspect they’ve eaten the drug
Marijuana is toxic to dogs and in some cases can be fatal if untreated.
Dog owner Chris Paulsen said the experience with her dog had been “terrifying”.
“Teddy vomited a dark brown liquid and was very wobbly and struggled to stand,” Ms Paulsen said.
“He had very little saliva and looked dazed and confused.”
Ms Paulsen had taken Teddy for a walk at Bokarina Beach, north of Caloundra.
“Because his legs were unstable we assumed he had a tick,” she said.
“By the time he got to the vet, he was incontinent.”